Code of Conduct for Parents & Guardians of the Students
St. Dominic’s College, Kanjirappally ensures a peaceful learning environment that is safe, positive and supportive for all students and staff of the College. It is a minority institution run by the Cathedral church of the Catholic Diocese of Kanjirappally. This institution inculcates Christian values and virtues in its campus aiming at an integral formation of the students: academic, emotional, social, creative, physical and spiritual. The College treats the parents/guardians of the students as active partakers in the formation of each student. Parents/guardians should always attend their children/wards in forming good character and co-operate with the College authorities in this regard.
- 1. The term “parents/guardians”, refers to the persons named in the official register of the College during the time of enrolment as the parent or guardian of a student.
- 2. The College expects the parents/guardians to deal with the College authorities in matters regarding the students. No outsiders or relatives are expected to engage with matters of the students unless it is duly informed by the parents in an officially assigned format and procedure.
- 3. Parents/guardians of the students are expected to uphold the vision, values and ethos of the College.
- 4. Parents have the right to raise issues and concerns related to the education of their child or other matters relating to the College. Parents should ensure that they raise their issues and concerns with the right person and follow the correct communication channels according to the College’s policies and procedures.
- 5. Parents/guardians should come to the general PTA and the class PTA. They should remember the fact that formation of the students belongs to the collective responsibility of teachers and parents/guardians.
- 6. The General Body shall be the supreme authority of the Association. Only the parents/guardians of all the students on rolls of the College during a year and all permanent teachers on roll shall constitute the General Body of the Association. The General Body elects the members of the Executive Committee for a period of one year.
- 7. The day-to-day functioning of PTA is done by the PTA Executive which may be convened according to the needs of the institution. It is the objective of the PTA that it should help to maintain good relationship among the students, the staff and the parents/guardians.
- 8. Parents/guardians should maintain courteous and respectful attitude towards the staff (teaching and non-teaching) of the College.
- 9. The PTA should help the College authorities to maintain good discipline and high academic standards.
- 10. The PTA also has to take creative steps to collect voluntary subscriptions, donations, gifts, etc. from members, non-members and other institutions for improving the standards of infrastructural facilities.
- 11. The PTA shall try to institute scholarships, prizes, medals etc. to benefit students showing a high proficiency in their studies.
- 12. They are advised to meet in person the HoDs / the Principal regarding the conduct and overall performance of the children/wards. It is highly appreciable that the parents/guardians should visit the HoD at least once in a semester.
- 13. Parents/guardians should inform the HoD when a student is on leave due to ill health for more than 3 consecutive days.
- 14. In case of extreme necessity, the parents/guardians should directly contact the HoD, and if delegated the class tutor in order to get the permission for the students to leave the campus before 3.30 pm.
- 15. No parent/guardian is allowed to enter the classroom of their children. They can meet the student in duly assigned places in the department rooms.
- 16. In matters of discord and grievances, the parents/guardians are requested to make a direct meeting with the principal/ respective HoD. Kindly do not resort to any inappropriate, malicious and judgemental gossips in case of issues regarding your student and College. A direct conversation will clarify any confusion regarding the issue. The College takes seriously any issues that are brought to its attention.
- 17. If the HoDs direct the parents/guardians to the office of the Principal regarding any grave issue, they should deal it with the Principal in person.
- 18. In matters where other students are also involved, no parent is allowed to make any kind of direct communication with them in person. Only in the presence of the Principal/HoD/class tutor, a parent can meet other students.